The 400 years old Basilica of Bom Jesus is a UNESCO world heritage site. The foundation stone was laid on 24th November 1594, and completed on 15th May 1605. It was raised to the status of a minor Basilica in 1946 and is considered to be one of the best examples of Baroque architecture in Goa. The church is called “Bom Jesus” meaning “good Jesus” or “infant Jesus” to whom it is dedicated. The Basilica holds the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier in Goa.